Thursday, May 29, 2014

Third Tasting

May 29th, 2014

Hey, a Thursday tasting!

The color hasn't changed much since...well, at all, really. I don't mind this much, and I'm not worried, as I started from an aged bourbon to begin with, so I'm not sure how much farther that will go. It does have a lovely caramel color though, so I'm OK with that.

I have been battling a cold over the past few days. As a result, I am a little stuffed up, so the olfactory sense isn't what it might normally be. That said, I get less of the sweet odor from the unmodified Rebel Yell, which is odd, since the maple in the barrel batch should give it more sweetness. I do get a nice oak scent, though.

The taste is coming along nicely. In the mouth, there's a nice complexity of flavors, with the maple and the bourbon really starting to come together into something slightly different. The one downside is the finish - it finishes VERY mapley. Almost - dare I say it - too sweet. It has a nice, subtle burn going down, leading to that lingering warming sensation, but the aftertaste on the tongue is all maple.

No comments:

Post a Comment